Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year

2010 Bitches. Does it feel different? DOES IT?!?!

My blog buddy, Linda, does this every year and I thought I'd like to copy it because I can't seem to come up with any New Years-y type entry and dammit if it aint already the 7th. One week in already and I got empty pockets to show for it.

Oh, and when I say she is my blog "buddy", I use the term loosely. IRL (in real life) she doesn't even know I exist. I follow her blog religiously and connect to almost all of her posts and I may or may not have read through her ENTIRE BLOG ARCHIVES. From like, 100 years ago. All of them. In like a week and a half. Please God, don't tell her.


"Hi, my name is Gena and I'm like SERIOUSLY your biggest internet stalker fan. Wanna be BFF and borrow each other's shoes and talk about how dumb boys can be?" Because I'm down. Shoot me an email. I'm completely sane and mean you no harm. Oh, and the air is geting a little low in your driver's side back tire.


So here goes....


1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?


Gave birth to my daughter, Elizabeth. Did other people's taxes. For money. Sanded my kitchen cabinets (new in 2010: staining! Hopefully...) Learned to crochet. My God, what DID I do all year....


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?



On Dec 22, 2008, I quit smoking and I haven't picked it back up. I am awesomely proud of myself for that. I also vowed to be a perfect mother and wife and HOUSEWIFE, but that didn't work out. Gotta pick better ones this year. Which are:

a. Make 90% of our food from a whole foods base. The goal is to be completely switched over by the end of the year. This includes making our own stock, bread, pasta, sauces. Nothing from a box. Join a co-op for fresh produce. Look into butchers. I would also like to get a grain mill and mill our own flour. Sound crazy? Well any bread sitting on a shelf has been stripped of its nutrients. That's fact. It's a requirement for long shelf life. I can't go low carb or give up bread so this is the only alternative. Again, this is a project to work on all year long.


b. Move more. All the time. Turn off the damn TV. Put the iPhone down. Forget about email and FaceBook and Google Reader for hours at a time (that's hard folks!). Park farther. Take the stroller. Don't be afraid of the stairs in the house.


c. Lose 60 lb. Better if I can lose 80 lb. This is not an extreme. This is to get back in the high range of my ideal weight. Eating better and moving more will accomplish this. Drink more water. Accept the fact that food is fuel, not reward.

d. Half Marathon. Self explanatory. I'd like to run one in Novemberish.

e. Blog more. Be serious about it. Hone my skills. Strengthen my brain to start a book this year. Yes, the quintessential WRITE MY NOVEL resolution. Don't laugh, I'm serious!

f. Focus on myself. Stop putting every other person I know and don't know ahead of me. Care about how I look and feel. Treat myself like a princess. Well, more like a queen since I gotta run this household too, but you know what I mean. Follow FlyLady. Bring myself some peace. (And sure, I know I also have a baby here. I will continue to nurse her and love her and change the ungodly a-BOMB-inations she oozes from her butt)

e.GIVE MYSELF A FRIKKEN BREAK! Stop worrying so much about what YOU think. You people. And everyone else too. Come to a happy place about where I am and what I am doing and even, hopefully, pat myself on the back every now and then and say I'm proud of you.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?



Ummmm....ME!
And my step-brother.... well his wife anyway... with twins no less...

4. Did anyone close to you die?



My dad died in December of 2008 and while it didn't quite make the cutoff for 2009, it was a big shock for a long time.


5. What countries did you visit?



Wow, ummm... You Ess of Ay?
I have a feeling my world travels are concluded now that I am out of the Navy.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

Yeah! Remodeled bathrooms and a finished kitchen.
An SUV before E gets too big.
A completely unpacked house would be killer too.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

26 June - The day we closed on our house.
31 July - The traumatic birth of my daughter.
18 Dec - The Winter Storm of 2009!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?



Becoming a true Grown-up. With a mortgage and a baby. Oh my.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Letting procrastination and perfectionism rob me of living in the moment or getting things done.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

My pilonidal required lancing TWICE.
Nightmare.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A house?
That's my personal fav :)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My husband. Becoming a daddy. He's really jumping in head first and is always there when I need to tap out.
My brother joined the Army. I'm so proud of him!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?



Nothing stands out....

14. Where did most of your money go?

Mortgage. House stuff. Video games.

15. What did you get really excited about?

Househunting.
Being a Mommy.
Parading E to see family. I love her so much.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
Miley Cyrus - The Climb
Christina Aguilera - It Keeps Getting Better
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


– happier or sadder? Happier, fer shure.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter. *shrugs*
– richer or poorer? Same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?



Everything. Except eat and Splore the Interwebz

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?



Let my emotions get the best of me.
Care what the world thought of me.

20. How did you spend Christmas?




At The Gramma's in Illinois :)

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?


With my baby girl? yeah!
With, ummmm, a man? Not again, thankfully. That might put a kink in the ole' marriage don't ya think?!

22. What was your favorite TV program?




Probably Project Runway because it was the one thing Stephen and I BOTH watched. Like together. We have oddly different tastes so this was an especially delightful treat.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?




Nope.
The shitlist is still the same :)

24. What was the best book you read?


What to Expect when you are Expecting.
Most of my knowledge come from the Net and forums and blogs and Wiki.
I'm a winner... I know...

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?



I guess that would be an appreciation of rock music, gained against my will whilst suffering through 184973864 hours of Stephen playing Rock Band.
See? I can find the positive in ANYTHING!

26. What did you want and get?


A healthy baby.
A KITCHENAID MIXER!
A house.
A sewing machine!

27. What did you want and not get?

Personal organization and a sense of peace.
Maybe this year!



28. What was your favorite film of this year?


He's Just Not That Into You - honest yet funny, so true

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?


I turned 28. I worked. Stephen got me a funny card.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?


Discovering FlyLady earlier. Hands down!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?


Whatever fits. Sad? I know...

32. What kept you sane?




Reading blogs.
There is truly some funny shit out there. I hope someday I can return the favor.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?



Christian Bale.
Hubba Hubba.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?




Obama. Like everything. It's such a heated debate.
The Nobel Peace Prize thing? *sigh*

35. Who did you miss?




When E was driving me crazy, it was her Gramma. Helping hands are missed terribly when they leave.
My mom - I feel like this is the time when I need her most. Her advice, her approval, her interest. She just isn't a part of my life. It's hard.
My dad - He always thought I was perfect. No one else thinks of me that way.

36. Who was the best new person you met?




My Mommy Life Group at church. I'm so glad to be a part of a life group again.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.




I can do anything for 15 minutes at a time.
There's hope for me yet.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.



Yeah...I'm never good at that sort of thing. I'd rather quote FlyLady if I may:
"Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself."
I love that. I'm trying to live it.

 ***********************************


New Year's Eve
Meeting the great grandma for the first time!



New Year's Eve, meeting some more great grandparents for the first time!



Taking in the G-G-ma



Meeting Daddy's cousin, Lauren!



Eating a bite of good luck cabbage and spare ribs that G-G-pa made.
Equally humorous?
The "baby bird begging for regurgitated worm" feeling is valid.
I chewed that shit up and then gave her some.
It's gross, I know. But funny too, eh?

No comments: